Saturday, October 7, 2017

Kids in the Kitchen - National Pizza Month

Choose any day in October to celebrate Pizza Festival Time Month. Pizza originated in Italy, but today is an international favorite.  Not only is pizza delicious, it's nutritious too.  A pizza made with meat and veggie toppings provides foods from each of the four major food groups.
Give your child a large circle cut from card board (or a pizza wheel) and let them paint on red "sauce" (tempera paint).  Next let them top their pizza with construction paper cut outs of their favorite toppings (red pepperoni circles, black olive ovals, yellow pineapple tidbits, green bell pepper rings, tan mushroom slices).  Let your child sprinkle on yellow cornmeal (from a shaker container) for cheese.
I Wish I Were a Pepperoni Pizza
Sung to: "The Oscar Myer Theme Song"
Oh, I wish I were a pepperoni pizza,
That is what I'd truly like to be.
For if I were a pepperoni pizza,
Everyone would be in love with me!
Additional Verses: Substitute other favorite pizza toppings.
Prepare a variety of pizza toppings.  Include tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce adds more flavor) and cheese plus any other toppings your children like (olives, mushrooms, cooked sausage, ham, pepperoni, etc.)  Have children place a hamburger bun or English muffin top or bottom on a paper towel and top with a little sauce, cheese and their favorite toppings.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake pizzas at 400 degrees until cheese melts.
Has your group celebrated National Pizza Month? Have you made pizzas from hamburger buns or English muffins? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Calendar Connection - August

August has long been one of my favorite months (because I have an intense school supply fetish) but I've always felt like it was lack...